Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Thoughts on Time With our Children

In working at preparing our children for life, we are constantly looking for resources to help us in this journey. I have found a very good book called Life Skills: Equipping Your Child for the Real World. It is written by Christine M. Field. The book teaches about subjects such as time management, decision making, money matters, healthy habits, house skills, organizational skills, handling difficult relationship issues and much more. So far the book has been very helpful.

In reading this book, I came across the chapter Responsibility in the Small Things. Within this chapter there is the subject of time and how we handle that time. Here is a paragraph taken from a book called 401 ways to Get Your Kids to Work,

By the time your children reach eighteen years of age, they will have spent 32,234 hours under your guidance and training. Consider that it takes only 2,100 hours of classroom and outside study time to complete a bachelor's degree in college and half that time to learn some skilled trades. Your home has sixteen times more teaching hours than does the university. What do you want to do with this time?

In reading, I was reminded that my husband and I only have so much time to apply to the hearts and minds of our children. It was a good reminder that we need to be proactive in our choices concerning our commitments and not just let life take us by the hand and lead us on into directions that God has not led.

I am grateful for the work of others who encourage and help to keep us on track in our thinking and living.

God Bless,
Tamara

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

I was wondering how that book was, thanks for the review:-)

Tamara said...

Suzanne,
You are very welcome. Thank YOU for your encouraging blog. It has been a tremendous blessing to my daughters and myself.

Jenna said...

Those are fascinating statistics! What a blessing and privilege from the Lord to have all of that precious time to train your children in the Love of Christ...

I am SO thankful that my parents have chosen to home school my siblings and I:)

Tamara said...

Jenna,
You are right. Those are amazing statistics and we as parents are prayerful that the Lord will "teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts to wisdom" that we may disciple and lead our children.
We are so thankful for the privelage of home schooling.
Blessings to you~ Tamara

Mikailah said...

Your blog is very encouraging... You are doing a great job, Mom and Dad! Keep up the good work!
1 John 5:14,15
I love you!
Love, Mikailah